One of my New Year's resolutions was to read at least one book a month. January I managed to squeeze two in. Don't expect that every month. I zipped through the first in between New Years and having to return to work. It took the rest of the month to get through the second book on my phone every night.
First up was a book Wesley had given me for Christmas, Eleanor and Park. The book is set in the 1980s, which makes for some fun little references, and tells the story of two awkward teens who develop an unlikely relationship. I almost returned the book after the first chapter. The language was so crude, but I'm glad I kept going. The book's got great character development. I don't want to give too much away, but it's a quick read so go get it. I also heard that Dream Works is creating a movie based off of this book.
I downloaded The Essential 55 on my phone. This was another quick read. Honestly, I read this one because I wanted to see what all of the hype over Ron Clark was about. I was a little letdown by the book. I guess I was wanting to read more about what actually goes on in his lessons and in the classroom, not necessarily the rules. I felt like there was no big game changer for me and how I approach my classroom (a lot of it was common sense), but I did enjoy the stories he told of coworkers and students: inspiring and comical. I would like to read his latest book though, and it's still on my bucket list to visit the Ron Clark Academy in Atlanta.
I'm currently reading four other books right now. Hopefully I'll be able to finish at least one of them in February. What are you reading?
No comments:
Post a Comment