I believe it was Wednesday night of the honeymoon we went to the Carolina Opry (very good - pics coming later). But, before the show started, the emcee was interacting with the audience and wished some couple a Happy 30th Anniversary. Everyone clapped, they waved, you get the picture. Anyway, then Mr. Emcee asked the husband what was the secret.
*Let me stop right here and say that I've been in more than a couple of audiences, etc., where this type of question has been asked. The answer is always the same: lots of love, laughter, learn to let the little stuff go, a good drink every now and then, etc. You get the picture.
Husband of 30 year's answer was the same. His secret to a long, happy marriage, "lots and lots of love."
Now, I've been married 8 days....a longgg way from 30 years. My parents have been married 29 years. The in-laws (or in-loves if you're using my mother's terminology-I agree, I like "in-loves" better) have been married 26 years, I think. Anyway,
it's a long time, and you get the point. I'm rambling, back to my point
BUT - JUST ONCE - I'd like to hear a husband say that his marriage lasted that long because he tried to love his wife like Christ loves the church. JUST ONCE!
I wonder, do these people not know the Lord, and not know how to love their wives as Christ loves the church? Or do they just not give credit where credit is due? Or maybe it's because they don't want to do so in such a large public setting. But, JUST ONCE, I'd like to see a husband stand up and give God the glory for a marriage that has lasted that long. Because, while I love my husband (hehe, so fun to use that word!) very, very much and I know that he loves me very, very much, I know that the only way we will have long, happy marriages, just as our parents have, is to keep God at the very core of our marriage.
My prayer is thirty years from now, is that Wesley can say his secret is no secret at all, that he tried to love me as Christ loves the church. And in thirty years, I can say that I have loved my husband because Christ first loved me.
I love you my Wesley!

(I did manage to swipe one picture from Facebook.)
GREAT post! Love it Mrs. Taff :)
ReplyDeleteThis IS a great post and I love the wedding picture! Beautiful! I love your dress!
ReplyDeleteBest wishes to you and the Mr!
Haha...I took that pic!! And I love what you said about the "WHY" when asked about a marriage lasting so long! Good point!
ReplyDelete