Wesley got me a GREAT Christmas present last year (2009). It was exactly what I wanted!

I'm not sure it was this exact model, but you get the picture....I got a sewing machine!
I'm a wee bit ashamed to admit it, but it's mid April and the thing is still sitting in the box. Eek! I'm going to just play the 'pregnancy card' and blame it on Eli and that whole 'first trimester thing'.
But, I'm feeling pretty good these days, and mighty relaxed after having the entire week off thanks to Spring Break, and I'm feeling up to tackling the beast and learning to sew. I want to be able to make some cute things for Eli (and for around the house) by the time of his big arrival in August. Nothing too fancy; just basic stuff.
My problem is I just really don't know how to start. I've heard that the best way to learn is just to do it. I know a few things. I'm not completely ignorant. My mom sewed a lot as we were growing up, and sometimes she would let us help. I've also made pillows and a few things like that before. I do plan on getting some "lessons" from a lady who's twins are in my class this year. I'm just getting anxious to get started. I might pull the thing out of the box and at least set it up next weekend.
Once I get the hang of things, here's the project I have in mind:
Isn't it BEAUTIFUL!?!! We went to a HUGE Christmas store in Pigeon Forge this week, and I fell in love with this from the clearance section! Sadly, it was the only one like it, and I want to buy a "family set." Wesley and I didn't decorate for Christmas last year since we had just bought a house, were moving in, AND headed west for my sister Caitlin's wedding. My MIL offered to buy us some counted cross stitch pattern stockings, but I never could find exactly what I wanted (nor anything Wesley and I both agreed on). But, I LOVE this stocking, and I think that Mom and I could sew something similar to it fairly easily.
Anyway, do you sew? How did you learn? What's something good to start off making?
My daughter (15) wanted a sewing machine. It sits in the basement. Its been....2 years! I have no idea how to sew. Its a shame. I wish someone would show me how to use a sewing machine.
ReplyDeleteI found you from Katie and wanted to say hi. That stocking is really cute! I tried to learn to sew once with my mom, but there was more to it than I anticipated. The stocking looks like a good starter project though.
ReplyDeleteTalk to Bryanne. Seriously. Call her or text her. She's good. Really good.
ReplyDelete