Eli has developed a bit of a cough and the wind was pretty strong today due to afternoon showers rolling in, so we decided to take a rest day from the beach. This morning we went to the Daytona International Speedway and took the Speedway Tour. We’re not racing fans, but when in Rome I suppose. I never realized how big the track actually is. It sits on 450 acres. The tour was really neat. I never realized how STEEP those turns actually are. Our tour guide told us that you have to be going no slower than 95 mph, or gravity will pull you right back down. We saw where Dale Earnhardt died in 2001, crossed the start/finish line, drove through pit row, and had our picture made in the winner’s circle.


After our morning out we went back to the room, ate, and napped. Then Captain Eli took us on another adventure.

Don’t ask me why, but I’ve always wanted to visit a lighthouse. I’ve talked about it on every trip Wesley and I have taken throughout our marriage. I finally got my chance! We went to Ponce Inlet to see the Ponce De Leon lighthouse, which happens to be Florida’s tallest lighthouse.

We climbed the 200+ steps to the top.
The views from the top were incredible. I won’t go so far to say that I’m afraid of heights, but I prefer to keep my feet on the ground, so I tried not to look down. It was very windy at the top too!
We spent the rest of evening back at our resort playing putt-putt, eating dinner, and watching my show (Biggest Loser). We’re looking forward to being back on the beach tomorrow!
I went on a Daytona vacation several years ago with my family and we went to the speedway and the lighthouse! The pictures brought back memories! I'm not a racecar watcher either, but found the track incredible!!
ReplyDelete