So, I'm feeling like mom of the year tonight. We haven't slept for more than four straight hours (probably more like 3) in a row in this house in close to a month...no exaggeration. We haven't done that since he was a week old and we had to wake him up to feed him. He's always been such a good sleeper! I finally decided to call the pediatrician today and get her to look at Eli's ears even though he's not run fever, not acted anything other than his always happy and good natured self, and not given any of the usual signs of an ear infection like pulling on his ears, etc.
I felt a little silly sitting in the sick child waiting room there. My kid is laughing, crawling all over the place, and sticking his tongue out and blowing really hard (one of his newest tricks). Well, turns out he has a severe double ear infection. I felt AWFUL. Dr. Y said it could be he's had it for a few weeks, or it could be that it just popped up and got severe very quickly.
She's going to see us again in a few weeks to recheck his ears, and gave us an antibiotic to use for the next ten days. Again, I feel horrible. It makes me sad to think I didn't know anything was wrong with my own baby, but he hasn't been acting sick! I really thought it was something like he was going through a growth spurt, or he was getting all he needed from me anymore and maybe we need to make that switch from breast milk to formula (I plan to keep doing it until he is at least a year old....but that's another topic for another day), or maybe he was having separation anxiety or something waking up in the middle of the night and not knowing where we were.
As long as he gets better though, that's all that's important now.
Ok, no more of the boring stuff. Picture time!
Eli is into EVERYTHING here lately. Grandparents and Aunt Caitlin, you best get to baby proofing your homes! Eli's coming!
He is crawling and is FAST!
Any cabinet that does not have a latch on it he opens and pulls out the contents.
He climbs over and on top of anything he can.
Little man sits with his feet crossed all the time. Just like Uncle Z. I love it.
Just four more days of school until we're all home for the summer. I can't wait! : )




I know the situation makes you feel bad, but try not to let it. It's just one of those things that makes parenting difficult, when your baby can't tell you what is wrong. You and Wesley are great parents. Seeing E this weekend, he definitely didn't act sick. I am sure he will bounce back quickly though. I think you are a wonderful mother!
ReplyDeleteI think every time Lily has had an ear infection I haven't known about it until after the fact...so we can be in the "Awful Mom" club together! Don't beat yourself up over it...you are a WONDERFUL mother! I hope Eli feels better soon and the antibiotics clear up the infection quickly and effectively! Miss you :)
ReplyDeleteI just keep coming back to this post to look at the pics. My favorite is the one with his head in the picnic basket thingie. He sure knows how to make me smile!
ReplyDelete