I finally finished reading The Help. It was so good; probably one of the best books I've read in awhile. I definitely think The Help is one of those books that will one day become a classic. I can't wait to see the movie!
It is set in the early 1960s in Jackson, Mississippi. It is told from three different perspectives: two black maids and a young, white, recent Ole Miss grad. I would fall in love with one character, proclaiming her my favorite, just to have the story switch gears and I'd start liking another character.
I think the main theme of civil rights and skin color is pretty obvious, but there are so many sub plots in this book that had me captivated right until the end. I was pleased with how the story ended overall, but some of the smaller story lines didn't end as they would had I been writing the book! : )
There are so many lessons to be learned from this book. It was so sad to read about how people treated each other, just 50 years ago, and even more sadly, to think that, for some, racism like that still exists. I love that Abileen teaches Mae Mobley that skin color is just the packaging.
Of course one of the most well known quotes from the book comes from Abileen reaffirming Mae Mobley: "You is kind. You is smart. You is important." What a reminder of the importance of instilling love and confidence. Although, my favorite quote was from Skeeter; "Not that much separates us. Not nearly as much as I thought." I think that says it all.
No comments:
Post a Comment