It's late on Christmas Eve, and I've just gotten my exhausted, runny nosed baby to sleep (finally). I should be asleep myself, but I haven't blogged in so long and I want to catch up. We've had so much going on lately, and I want to capture these memories before the details get fuzzy.
This has by far been the best Christmas ever! It's our first in our house, and it's Squirmy's first Christmas too. Even though he doesn't know it's Christmas, it's been so fun to celebrate with him.
I've thought about Mary and the birth of Christ in a different way this year. I've wondered all kinds of things about the baby Jesus. What was he like as an infant without sin? I wonder when did he first start grabbing his feet (one of Eli's new tricks!). When did he roll over, sleep through the night, really begin to babble, etc.? I can't imagine what it was like to be the mother of Jesus. One of my new favorite verses is Luke 2:19, But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart. That's what I'm really doing this year, treasuring all of these things.
Christmas Eve Eve (the 23rd):
We loaded up and made a trip to Auburn. We decided to take a little family outing and have lunch at Five Guys. The burgers and fries were soooo yummy! : )
We then enjoyed driving around campus and admiring all of the changes since Wesley and I were in school there, which wasn't that long ago! We looked at the new dorms, the new band field, and several new buildings that are popping up.
Once we got back, Eli stayed with Aunt Katie, while Wesley & I ran a few errands. I then made a red velvet cake. This was only my second time to make a red velvet cake and it turned out so much better than the first time around (not that it was bad the first time around, it just wasn't the prettiest thing). I made several adjustments and am quite pleased with things! I only put nuts on half of the cake, because not everyone likes nuts.
(Check out Eli's picture with Santa in the background. A Santa post is in the works if I can get the pictures from my dad!)
That evening we went to Country's BBQ with a lot of family, and then drove around with Aunt Katie and looked at Christmas lights. We had a lot of fun critiquing everyone's outdoor decor! Nana, Puddin', & Uncle Z also came up Thurs. night.
Christmas Eve (the 24th):
The day has been spent with lots of family! We had lunch at Mrs. Taff's house and did Christmas there with most of the aunts, uncles, cousins, etc.
Aunt Caitlin and Uncle Clark made the trip from Dallas and arrived late this afternoon to spend Christmas with us. We're so glad to see them, and even though it will be a quick visit, we're thankful to have them here!
Tonight we had birthday dinner for my brother and sister. We grilled out steaks and sausage, and had salad and baked potatoes also. It was sooo good. We of course did presents and had cake from our favorite local bakery...Rollens (seriously, the BEST cake I've ever had)!
Some things never change. : )
Eli looks like such a big boy until he gets with Uncle Clark, then he still looks like my tiny baby! Eli loves his Uncle Clark!

After dinner Momma, Caitlin, and I got busy in the kitchen. We're having the traditional Petty family Christmas breakfast (sausage balls, pigs in blankets...and we're adding a breakfast casserole this year) in the morning, and then a large traditional Christmas dinner (ham, green beans, peas, corn casserole, dressing, pink fluff, red velvet cake, etc.) late tomorrow afternoon/early evening.
The night came to a close putting Eli to bed. Eli ate, we sang Christmas hymns and our usual bedtime songs (You Are My Sunshine, Jesus Loves Me, and Jesus Loves the Little Children), and Wesley read Luke 2, and we said prayers.
It's been the perfect day. Merry Christmas to all and to all a goodnight!
No comments:
Post a Comment