I mentioned in one of my last posts that we'd be doing some flying...and we made it!
Sidenote: I don't mind mentioning that we're gone and our house is empty because the fiesty guard kitty is at home...along with a house sitter! : )
Flying is not my favorite mode of transportation. I wouldn't really say I'm afraid of heights, but I prefer to keep my feet on the ground. I don't do roller coasters either. So, that and flying with a baby and all of his stuff made me a little nervous. But, we did great. In addition to the two suitcases we checked, Wesley and I each had a carry on, my purse, Eli's bottles and stuff, Eli's diaper bag, a stroller and a car seat...we were a sight to see going through the airport with all of that stuff.
My few tips for flying with a baby:
- take advantage of the priority seating that is offered to families with small children
- arrive with PLENTY of extra time
- have something for baby to eat/suck on during take off and landing
- have some of babies favorite toys to keep him entertained
The only thing I seem to have forgotten was a few of Eli's favorite, small toys to entertain him with. But, it wasn't bad without it. We did have the two small toys that hang on his car seat.
Taking a snack break in the airport.

Check out big man...trying to hold that bottle by himself!
Eli did great. We had two flights, the first one he ate at the beginning of the flight (and did great). He slept about 2 1/2 hrs of the 3 1/2 hr flight from Atlanta to Denver while Wesley and I watched an episode of NCIS and the movie Up.
The last ten minutes of the flight were rough. Eli screamed the whole way down. While my child doesn't scream or cry often, when he does it is LOUD! But, as soon as we got off the plane he was fine. : )
We had a bit of a layover, and then had another flight from Denver, CO, to Durango, CO. It was a very small plane, and Eli did great. He ate again during take off and then slept the rest of the flight.
From there we had about an hour's drive to Pagosa Springs, CO. We were exhausted when we got here. It was about midnight our time, and we'd been traveling for about eleven hours.
We all slept great, despite still having a baby with a stuff, snotty nose, and woke up to this incredible view.
I'll be updating throughout the week. Happy Holidays!
Those roller coasters are a booger- better stick to indoor ones instead :)
ReplyDeleteI'm glad everything went well! I was thinking about you. The view is beautiful! I can't wait to see and hear more!