Sunday, July 11, 2010

Lions, Tigers, and Bears, Oh My!

This morning we got up and tried our luck at the subway system in D.C. I'm so glad Wesley knew what he was doing; it would have taken me forever to figure out what to do!

The engineering for the subway was incredible. I loved how beautiful everything was too.

We headed to the National Zoo.
It was incredible. We saw sooo many animals; these aren't even half of the pictures!

We caught the zebras at feeding time, so they were in their cages.

Cheetah

The pandas were a big exhibit at the National Zoo. When we went to see them they weren't in their yard, they were inside. I can't say that I blame them, it was HOT! This particular panda kept turning his back to all the cameras and putting his hands over his face. He apparently was tired of being a spectacle!

The elephants were in a 'small' yard because a new elephant exhibit is being built and will open next year. One of the workers told us that it was taking a lot longer than expected because the building will actually be a federal building and what was needed for the elephants along with the federal standards was taking them longer than they anticipated!


The meerkats were hilarious! It took me forever to get a picture of this guy. He kept running from one end of his cage to the other, checking out the crowd that had gathered around him!


We saw several orangutans too. This guy was hanging out by himself. He had two friends in the other corner who I thought were just wrestling and playing, but after watching for a second, turns out they were trying to make a little orangutan! ahhh!

The baby gorillas. The adults were not cooperating for photos!

If you look closely you can see the tiger.

The lions - Simba's mane was INCREDIBLE! Every time I moved to get a good picture of him, he looked the other way!

We did A LOT of walking today, and I was concerned about how that would go because I haven't done much of that here lately and I have avoided the heat all summer! I actually did a lot better than I thought I would. The only problem came when we were leaving and the entire thing was uphill. My poor legs aren't used to walking uphill with all this extra weight. But, we finally made it!

We had some extra time and decided to just hop off the subway at the Pentagon stop, thinking we might get some pictures from across the street. Well, we got off the subway and were literally AT the Pentagon.

We walked around part of the Pentagon and also went to the Memorial there. The pictures say it all.

The names of all those who lost their lives 9 years ago.

Tomorrow's adventures require a lot more walking at the National Mall and a trip to the Holocaust Museum (which I'm really looking forward to).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...