The first half of my summer I did a lot of reading of fictional books; the second half of the summer I've done a lot of nonfiction reading (be warned unless you're a teacher or parent, you'll probably find this post boring).
I received a copy of "The Daily Five" from my MIL. I had heard a lot about this book, but never actually read it.

This was a very easy read, and while I won't do everything in my classroom exactly like these women did in theirs (it would be nearly impossible to do with certain laws that exist for Reading instruction in Alabama), the practices they established and how they went about doing it was very informative and something I could certainly pick up. I think it's a good read for any teacher of reading!
The next book I read (and am still reading) was written by Dr. James Dobson.

I had actually read parts of this book before. I think it was laying around at someone's house where I used to babysit, or maybe it was the daycare I worked at or something. The book is very good and very interesting. I actually read parts aloud to Wesley on our long drive last week (I knew he wouldn't read any of the book for himself! He's not a reader.), and he enjoyed it too.
On Becoming Baby Wise was a book recommended to me and was a very quick, easy read.

It talks a lot about breastfeeding and getting your baby established on a sleep/wake pattern early. A lot of what they said makes sense and I will probably put into practice, although I don't think you can make generalizations for every child.
This is what's up next.

I've read it several times now (every year before going back to school), but it's always a good reminder for what's coming up!
All of my reading is about to come to a screeching halt: going back to work and having Eli will take care of that! : )
Another good parenting book is Shepherding a Child's Heart by Tedd Tripp. I haven't read it yet, but Brent is in the process and said it's really good. Getting SO excited for you and Wesley!!!
ReplyDelete