Tuesday, December 1, 2009

New Bible Study

The Crazy Love book study and Bible study I was doing through the Bloom Book club finished up last week or so. Ashamed to say it, but I'm not done with the book. Don't get me wrong, it's VERY good and VERY challenging (there were some uncomfortable chapters in there), but somehow I got off and am 2 chapters away from finishing. My goal is to finish this week.

Tonight, I started a new women's Bible study that I'm really excited about. This one is at our church. I'm going with my new friend, Mallory. We're definitely the youngest ones in there, but it's going to be really good. I'm excited about it.

We're doing this one:
I'm really looking forward to it!
I love a Beth Moore Bible study.

God is doing some cool things right now. At our church, all BFGs (Bible Fellowship Group a.k.a. Sunday School Class. But, we attend the Saturday night service and then go to our small group/BFG/whatever you want to call it!) have adopted a local mission project to serve. Our BFG chose a small church in Columbus, GA, called Highland. What makes this church unique is that most of the members of this church (although, not all) are homeless. Most of them actually live under the bridge in Columbus. This Saturday our BFG will be doing some construction work there and sorting the clothes they have to give away. Because we go to the Saturday night service now our Sunday mornings are free. The past two Sunday mornings we've gone with Mallory and her husband, David, to the church and we love it.

They worship God with so much more of themselves than what you see in most churches. It's incredible. This past Sunday I watched as they passed the offering plate. The homeless woman in front of me reached in her pocket and pulled out a handful of change. It couldn't be more than $2, and it was all that she had, but she gave it all - joyfully! It seemed so much more than the $20 I pulled out of my overstuffed, receipt-filled wallet. All I could think of was the widow and her two mites that she gave at the temple while the Pharisees scoffed. I pray my heart would not be like the Pharisees and that I may give with a heart like the widow; or the homeless woman who sat in front of me in church last Sunday.

****Changing subjects, but still somewhat related****

Have you seen this movie?
I LOVED it! That's such an understatement. It was SUCH a good movie! I want to get it when it comes out on DVD. Wesley thinks it's pointless since we have it Netflix, but I LOVED this movie. I need it.

The movie was so sad at parts to me. Michael Oher reminds me of too many students I've had. The housing projects reminds me of one particular set here. I'm not going to say much, because I honestly don't know what to say, but Michael Oher reminds me of one particular student from last year. I honestly wish I could keep him. I would in a heartbeat. I just see the future for him if he stays where he is and it's not good. I just see so much potential in him.


(Pictures from Thanksgiving still to come. I keep leaving my camera cord in my desk at work.)

1 comment:

  1. Wow- I am excited to hear more about the church. It seems like a great way to evaluate your life- wish I could go with you.
    We saw The Blind Side the night it opened. Soooooooo good.
    When are ya'll closing? Are you a home owner yet?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...